Thursday, June 18, 2009

Blood the last vampire.

Blood the last vampire. Has anyone catch this movie yet...?Well i did, and let me share my review for this movie....

I just learnt that this movie was made into a live action from the original anime of the same tittle; Blood the last Vampire not Blood+ as many have had this mixup. Honestly speaking, i have not heard nor seen the anime series thus can't make any comparisons. But just basing on the pictures i see of the anime version of Saya and the real version play by Jeon Ji Hyun. It's quite nicely done.
Sailor uniform- Check
Blade in hand- Check
Plaid Pigtails- Check
Frown on the face- Check
Not that bad a resemblance, to me that is.

*a little digression*
Who is Jeon Ji-hyun?
You must be thinking...damn. she looks soooo familiar but i can't put a finger to where i've seen her from..
If you are a fan of k-movies, you might be familiar with the very original sassy girl.
Yesh, shes the girl, the main lead from My Sassy girl. If you asked me, I feel shes the one who started the whole trend of other 'sassy fierce girls' kinda movie trend in Korea.
*end of digression*

From this sweetie pie image to the devil may care attitude below. Thumbs up.
But what i didn't get was wouldn't it be easier to find a japanese to act this role? Maybe, they couldn't find anyone suitable for it. No faults there. But i could clearly hear that a certain part she was struggling with her japanese, but she managed to pull it off quite well. So, i guess maybe because I knew she was korean, I was paying special attention to her speaking the dialougue. But otherwise, it was quite smooth.....

When watching a movie like this, i always remind myself before stepping into the theartres that i should leave my rationality aside and enjoy. So that was what I did, I went in and enjoyed most of the movie, squirmed at some of the graphics, not because they werre gory, just because, it wasn't of great quality...O..and the fighting scenes. !!. Let me speak more on that behind. But leaving all those behind, I wanted to label it as a interesting movie to watch....UNTIL. the ending came about, and from a movie rating of, woah. it suddenly dropped to, what the. ...
Even if they wanted to end it that way, do it properly. It somehow seemed to me like a very hard sudden ending as if they had no more ideas as how to shoot it, were eager to wrap up, or suddenly realised budget was not enough when filming those scenes. I'm not attempting to put up too much spoilers, so i'll just say, the ending was too abrupt and the mysterious ending, was kinda done in bad taste. If you ask me that is.
The fighting and flying scenes was something i felt a little off about too...the wireing made the actions very stiff. It kinda felt like those old old chinese action gongfu flicks at some part where because of the wireing their actions become a little awkward. and because, they are not stunt people some of the actors moves could be very clearly seen as not powerful enough. Not the fault of the actors though, i can see the main lead doing a incredible job with so many action moves to attempt. Maybe the director could have helped them out a little there.

The bad.
  1. the ending.
  2. the stiff fighting scenes
  3. telling it from the point of alice
  4. not a strong plot, but hey. its just an hour and a half movie
  5. the vampires which look like the monsters from alien vs. predator. -_-
The good.
  1. A close Saya(main lead) resemblance
  2. ji hyun's acting, she's spoke english and jap, comeon, give the girl some credit.
  3. The silhouette(d) fighting scenes.(creates mood w/o the cheesy wiring jumping around,but there were too many of it) (got a little one too many right after i realised i like it-_-)
  4. i like heroines saving the day. my personal bias. bleahs. =P
  5. i'm into the whole vampire slaying thing. ask me. i caught all 3 seasons of my date with a vampire(我和僵屍有個約會) another personal bias. =P
  6. at least. the director had the decency to get an asian to act as saya to lookand sync like the original anime character. unlike some other movie...
  7. there were some very cool fighting scenes of japanese warriors.
the front suspense-ful start was good.

Overall, if you asked me is this the movie of the year? an obvious no.but!definitely Not the worse too. if your looking for a Sunday entertainment movie. Yes, this would make a good one, despite some bad stops, it is still full of flavour and actions.

Would i recommend this movie...? I think i would actually...:P Because, I like the whole, girl in sailor uniform saves the day kinda stuff...lol.I didn't regret watching it. And ji hyun's acting here is pretty good remembering this is her first take on a english film. :)
If you catch the film,let me know your take on it. :)
enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment